We recently welcomed artist and forager Jane Bevan as a guest presenter. Jane uses natural materials in her artwork which she forages on local walks.
We were encouraged to collect natural materials in our parks or gardens, we then learnt how to arrange them thoughtfully in a flat lay style. This is such a relaxing and playful way to engage with nature and create a very individual and temporary artwork to be photographed if wished.
- Choose the background carefully, a wooden board or piece of slate can work well
- Give yourself the time to really relax into the activity, maybe some gentle background music
- Use small items even though it's fiddly and may require tweezers
- Take time to look carefully at each piece as you lay it out, notice the colour, texture and smell
- Keep darker items spread through out the layout
- Look for repeated patterns and try to create a balance arrangement
- Leave a good even space between each item
- Take a photo directly from above, to share on your social media, use as a phone background or print and share with friends