Wonderfully Woven :: Weaving Workshop

I had the pleasure of the company of a group of lovely creative people last night.  I ran a workshop, organised by Katherine from Beauty and Utility Arts, in Hinckley.  The participants discovered how to weave with makeshift looms from things you can find in your own home or garden.

With a little bit of facilitation, the participants threw themselves into making using a variety of materials I had gathered for them.

Green willow can be used to make a circular shape and the warp threads stretched over to make a loom.   The weft is them woven betweem the warps that resemble the spokes of a wheel...
And tree branches with 'V' junctions can also be used too.  The warp threads are woven in a figure of 8 fashion before the weft threads are woven between them...
You can weave with a variety of materials.  Including ripped up bedsheets and ribbons...
   I was so surprised at how quickly these results where achieved.  They look stunning...

I had some really great feedback and participants particularly appreicated the experimental nature of the workshop.

Although I have taught lots of people to weave on a one to one basis, this was the first time I have done this on a group basis.  I also discovered that it is not always necessary to stand and provide formal 'teaching'.  It's more about providing the right circumstances to allow creativity to happen and, with a bit of facilitation the creativity just flows naturally.  I loved delivering this session and will be planning more!

Comments