Making Time for Creativity :: Appliqued Bookmarks

The second visit to Snibston last week, over half term, was a delight.  As you may remember, we were making Baroque appliqued bookmarks inspired by the Charles Jennens exhibition that is on at the museum at the moment. 

Whilst running the workshop, I took the time to encourage, not only the children but, the grown ups to sit down and make something.  It's is rather interesting to see the children throw themselves into the task with great gusto but the grown ups seem a little more reluctant to take part and need lots of encouragement to make those first steps.  Often I hear, "Oh. I'm not very good at crafts" or "Isn't it for the children.  Are you sure I can have a go?".  The words that I find really hard to hear are "Nobody has really had the patience to show me how to sew because I find it difficult".  I often wonder if people have been put off creative pursuits because the person showing them have been less than patient.  Sometimes it can be about making the time, and having the right resources, to be creative.   This is not always possible, because life can be everso busy, so running workshops, like this, provide the ideal setting for people to take a moment and sit down and discover something different that is both relaxing and great for wellbeing.

Some people do need a little extra time to pick up craft skills, like sewing, but I love to help them release their potential and I hope that I come across as both calm and patient.

It was great to see whole families working together on their creations at Snibston. At one point, I glanced down the table and just had to grab my camera...
 It was great to see the relaxed concentration that creativity brings.  It's almost like meditation and wonderful things grow from a relaxed state of mind...
 A grown up braiding with wool left over from the Lionheart Project...
 More braiding with wool scraps and cardboard...

 Ta daaaa.  Just look at these lovely pieces of work...
 This young lad decided to make a gift for mothers day and made his mum sit away from him so she would not see what he was making...
This young girl and her dad spent about an hour on their creation.  I felt so pleased when he came over and thanked me for the opportunity.  He said he had never sewn before and throughly enjoyed the whole experience.  That made my day!
 And to top it all off, those wonderful lions gazing down on us!


Comments