Engaging children in creative education

Children are naturally drawn toward creating things with their hands.  I always have a crochet knitting project in my bag, very useful for those times I am kept waiting, perhaps in the doctors surgery, or whilst the kids are having their swimming lessons.  I often find a little group of children inching ever closer with a zombie gait, their eyes curious about what I am making.  Before I know it they're upon me wanting to know what I am doing and how I am doing it!  I feel quite sad that basic heirloom crafts like knitting and crochet are overlooked by the school curriculum.   Picasso said "All children are born artists.  The problem is to remain an artist as we grow up".   Learning basic knitting and crochet stitches is absorbing and stimulating and taps into a part of the brain that brings a sense of achievment and relaxation. Both my husband and myself are lucky to be artistic and creative and can pass on these additional skills to our children: 
Jack totally immersed in the process of  making chains with a crochet hook!
Lily creating music with her daddy!
According to Sir Ken Robinson (international advisor on education in the arts to the government) schools kill creativity and suggests that  "Creativity is as important as literacy and we should treat it with the same status"  In this fantastic talk he goes onto say that children get "educated out of creativity" I couldn't agree more:

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for posting this video. I have spent a lot of time on the site this was posted from (Ted.com), and have loved every minute exporing the content and will continue to visit there often now thanks to you. Sir Ken Robinson has inspired me and also others who I have shared the video with today. Your blog is also wonderful and I am enjoying exploring your site too! Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Ted.com is brilliant, full of inspirational speakers. Sir Ken is a Brilliant wordsmith (I like that word!) and comes across so well when he speaks about education.

      Delete

Post a Comment